I love the festive season. Really do. I have absolutely no relation to the Grinch, so without a doubt, this is my favourite time of the year. The reasons are endless. In the year I spent living in Thailand, this was the one time where I truly missed home (minus that time I had convinced myself that I had Dengue fever and needed my mom there to be paranoid with me. She’s worse than WebMD). Thailand is a Buddhist country so December might as well be one those useless months that no one really care for like January and July. I even had to work on Christmas and at the school assembly in the morning, all the foreign teachers had to stand in front and tell the learners how Christmas is being celebrated in our respective countries. I’ll admit I wasn’t the best ambassador for my country because all I said was that we spend the day with our families and in the evening, we go out, meet up with friends and drink. Then I walked away, I felt like I should have been given the day off. It’s Christmas, bathong. Needless to say, no teaching happened that day. What really broke my heart was when my brother video called me from my gran’s house and lord knows the fastest way to break me is to involve Mma Miesie, my Koko. She has my heart. Thank God this year, I’m home and I can’t wait to break bread with my loved ones, I know with my family it will involve loads of yummy food, liquor and loads of banter. Good Times.
Sidenote: Speaking of WebMD. The internet recently diagnosed me as being allergic to alcohol. Now, if that isn’t the most comical thing I have ever heard, I don’t know. If I was allergic to alcohol, I would be dead by now. Believe me.
The internet is stupid.
Back to my love for the festive season, Here is a list of reasons why I absolutely love December:
- Everyone is single.
2. Every day feels like a Saturday.
3. The braai and pool party invites keep on coming.
4. It’s the height of bikini season.
5. The only tea we recognise is the one from Long Island.
6. Birthday Month. Turned 26 on the 17th. 26 is such an odd year, hope it’s as unexpectedly life-changing and exciting as 23. 25 was one long existential crisis panic attack.
7. Summer hit music. This year, the summer belongs to the Distruction Boys. You’d have to be deaf to disagree. But my Fav is Heavy K – Inde – https://youtu.be/-7NX-bSGSfQ
8. Family Time
9. Day Drinking! Not only allowed it, it is recommended. By me, I’m recommending it! Do it!
On a serious note, jokes aside, this really is a wonderful time of the year, filled with so much love and warmth. To you, my dear reader, I wish you and your loved ones Love and Light! Merry Christmas, xoxo.